Appropriations for Alaska (2009)

Saturday, September 13, 2008

In the last week I've been listening to John McCain and Sarah Palin going on ceaselessly about how they're going to fight earmarks if they get elected.  Further, it seems that every few minutes I see that clip of Palin saying how she said "Thanks but no thanks" to the "bridge to nowhere".


After watching those clips over and over and over, I decided to see what appropriations Alaska was requesting for the upcoming year.  Lucky for me, Ted Stevens, one of the senators from Alaska, has a PDF on his website listing all the earmarks that Alaska is requesting for this year.

It seems that despite Palin's assurances that she's against earmarks, Alaska is requesting over $197 million in appropriations for the upcoming year.

Some of my favorite requests are:

$1.1 million for fighting bootlegging.

$650,000 to fight obesity

$4 million to ensure that people can safely and legally use nature trails (I don't even really know what that means)

$400,000 to "to complete environmental document preparation" (I think this one is funny because I helped to complete a 100 something page environmental document for the University of Cincinnati for absolutely nothing, it would be nice to get paid that much to prepare a document).

0 comments:

 
home
blogarama - the blog directory