Friday Random Ten: July 25, 2008

Friday, July 25, 2008

It's Friday Random Ten time again!  Yay!  So here we go!


1.  Razor Cut - The Toasters
The Toasters, such good times.  There isn't much to say about this song nor the band that plays it other than to note that if you've never listened to the Toasters, you really should.


2.  The Guns of Brixton - The Clash
It's a sad, sad thing that Joe Strummer died.  That man was a musical genius.  The Clash, The Mescaleros, and the Pogues were all great bands.  Listen and enjoy!


3.  Clan in da Front - Wu Tang Clan
The RZA, the GZA, Method Man, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, and the Ol' Dirty Bastard; WU-TANG CLAN!!!


4.  Drunken Lullabies - Flogging Molly


5.  Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles
The funny thing about this song is that I actually know how to play it, what's funnier is that I learned how to play it from my friend Jon who is a metal head who is conservatory trained but to play flamenco.  I don't know why he knows how to play this song and I'm not sure why I learned it from him.  It is a good song though.


6.  100% - Sonic Youth
I've seen Sonic Youth play twice, once in Vancouver and once in Seattle.  Those were two of the best show's I've ever seen and I've seen Bob Dylan play in a coffee shop/bar and B.B. King play at King Eddy's in Calgary (both of which were awesome, awesome shows as well).  Interesting fun fact about the 100% video: the guy that's skateboarding around in the video is a young Jason Lee as he was switching over from being a pro-skater to being a pro-actor.  I bet a lot of you didn't know that Earl was a pro-skater who's acting debut was in a music video from the early '90s.  I really shouldn't have known that either but my geekiness is legendary.


7.  Breath Me - Sia
I know you're all thinking to yourselves, "What?!?!  C.K. listens to Sia?  What is this foolishness that you speak of?"  And yes, I do like Sia.  A.M. introduced her to me and I actually do like it, then again I also like Enya.  Yes, I just admitted that I like Enya.  I can't help it, there's some weird gene in me that makes me like ambient music about being sad or something.  I don't know.  A fun fact about the song Breath Me: it was used in the closing scene of Six Feet Under, which might have been the best show ever put on TV.  Oz and the Wire were a close 2nd and 3rd but Six Feet Under is definitely the best show of all time.  ALL TIME!!!!


8.  12:59 Lullaby - Bedouin Soundclash
I've been a fan of Bedouin Soundclash for years.  My sister and all her art school friends introduced me to them when they first came out and given my love of both reggae and ska I couldn't help but to become the world's biggest Bedouin fan in the world.  Seriously, at 240 pounds I really must be the world's biggest Bedouin Soundclash fan.  Everyone I know who likes them is a skinny art school kid that weighs no more than a 110 lbs soaking wet with a pocket full of quarters.  However, I actually first heard this song watching Grey's Anatomy, which is weird right?


9.  Going On - Gnarls Barkley
My mom loved Gnarls Barkley, which is strange right?  What woman on the verge of her 60s likes Gnarls Barkley.  Actually, one of my last memories of her was her dancing around her office listening to Gnarls Barkley and watering her houseplants.  So here's to you mom!


10. Hang Wire - The Pixies
I have not the faintest clue what this song is about but isn't it a good song?  Pixies forever!

0 comments:

 
home
blogarama - the blog directory